The Treatment of Sexualised Behaviours.
DATE: Friday 27th July 2018
TIME: 9.30 am TO 4.30pm. Registration and Coffee from 9 am
VENUE: PARRAMATTA RSL CLUB, Cnr Macquarie and O’Connell Sts, Parramatta
COST: $352 (GST incl) Full time students receive a 20% discount - a copy of your current student card needs to be sent with your registration form.
SUPER EARLY BIRD: 20% discount for those people registering and paying in full by 27th May 2018
EARLY BIRD: 10% discount for those people registering and paying in full by 27th June 2018
Speaker: Linda Valenta
Linda Valenta is a Social Worker (Master of Social Work in Couple and Family Therapy) who has, for much of her 27 year career, worked in the area of sexual abuse prevention. Linda is the founder and Principal Therapist of SAIFF – Support, Assessment & Intervention For Families – a community based, private treatment service that provides assessment and intervention to help children and their families to:
1. stop problematic and abusive sexual behaviour and create relationships and homes that are supportive, safe and abuse free, and
2. minimise the harm to children and families that results from abuse.
As a recognized expert in the field, Linda has provided contracted therapy and consultative services to a range of Government and non-Government Agencies including NSW Family & Community Services and the ACT Child Youth Protection Services and she has facilitated training across Australia and New Zealand to professionals and agencies from the Child Protection, Education, Sexual Assault, Out of Home Care and Mental Health Sectors.
This workshop will explore an approach to working with young people who engage in problematic or harmful sexual behaviour which focuses on the goals of helping children to be safe (risk management) and be well (risk reduction).
Using case studies and client examples we will focus on intervention techniques with an emphasis on strategies around:
- Engaging children in a process of change
- Developing insight and understanding of the dynamics of problem sexual behaviour
- Promoting healthy sexual development
- Addressing sexual abuse within a family context
- Risk management and safety planning